Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sandwiched between Jung and Party Games

I took this photo between two books on my bookshelf which randomly ended up being "Party Games for Adults," and C.G. Jung's "Memories, Dreams, Reflections,"  Yikes!

My left eye has been crossing in when I fixate on something about 12 inches in front of my face. (It started this summer and no one is really sure why.) Bummer. After three surgeries, (two by butchers) God only knows what the muscles are doing beneath my eyes.  
Good news is that the two eyes are working!  Bad news is I have gone from a droopy looking eye, to a crossed eye.  But this is a sign to me that things are changing, so it is fine with me.  Things are changing!

People have always had a hard time knowing where I was looking, so this is won't make a difference.  Although, a workman at our house the other day kept looking down at his sweatshirt as I was speaking to him because that is where my eye was pointing, and I wanted to punch him!  But I am used to this, used to children saying, "Mommy, what is wrong with her eye?"  Whatever.  I guess if it was REALLY bad people would just be silent, ("Shhhh, don't stare honey...") so I take it as a good thing that people make comments..."Tell me Heather, what is wrong with your eye?" 

Did you get stung by a bee dear?
Oh, what happened to your lid?
Are you looking at me kid or
is there something on my chin?

4 comments:

  1. I think it is fabulous that Heather has started this blog because her ongoing story of recovering her depth perception is fascinating. She is an inspiration not only to others who share this specific aspect of vision, but indeed to anyone who has chosen to recover from any physical challenge. She is courageous as she willingly and wholeheartedly does the work her recovery demands, and then shares her insights with detail and humor. Regarding this entry, I find it remarkable that someone who is recovering her depth perception has actually been able to take such an artistic, precise and revealing photo of her eyes in this "sandwich" as she has titled it. It is a brilliant photograph and tells a story all its own. Congratulations, Heather, and thank you for sharing your progress as you continue your brave and determined journey of recovery with Strabismus. Dominique

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vision therapy actually brought your strabismus back?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rashkov,
    No, vision therapy did not make me strabismic. I am strabismic already! I see that I need to clarify my post a bit. My eye, normally looks down to the floor and never anywhere else, except when I use it (alternating between eyes). Now, with the help of vision therapy, I am better able to use both eyes, except for some reason, the eye crosses in when I fixate on something, rather than just staring towards the floor.
    Vision therapy has awakened my eyes, it is a long process, but I am learning how to align them now.
    I hope this helps to clarify.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the clarification! Best regards.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I enjoy reading your feedback.