Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Snowy Cosmos of Vertical Alignment

"One of life's most fulfilling moments occurs in the split-second when the familiar is suddenly transformed into the dazzling aura of the profoundly new."
-Edward B. Lindaman, Thinking in the Future Tense

It is snowing.  I just came in from watching it fall while wearing my prism glasses.  It fell all around me, like a slow motion tunnel of white puffs falling in a disturbingly divine order. Each flake had its own space surrounded by millions of other flakes falling in their own black velvet space.   I could see INTO the falling layers, in front of my face, through curtains of more flakes beyond, and still more further beyond.  Ahh, depth perception... And to think a multitude of doctors would say seeing with only one eye isn't missing much. 

Today I worked on the viewfinder machine at Vision Therapy. They are trying to teach me to direct my eyes.  With two eyes going in different directions I am now trying to direct them toward the same direction.  It is a bit like being an air traffic controller with two planes in the air going different directions and having to guide them down the right air strip,  but you are not sure who is flying the planes, and how to communicate with the pilots!  So you just hope that something will work.  I hope.  And hope some more...

I am just beginning to understand how to get my eyes aligned vertically, but I am lost when it comes to trying to direct them horizontally.  Actually while doing The Brock String exercise, one day the strings just jumped into alignment vertically.  It was only for a second, but there it was.  I felt it in my head, so I tried it again, and again the strings jumped into alignment, so I knew I was doing it.  The vision therapist said that getting the eyes to align vertically is more difficult, so I guess that is a good thing.  Now I just have to figure out how to get my eyes to come together horizontally.  I think this may be called fusing.  Right now i see two different things out of two different eyes (yea, I am not suppressing!) and I guess they want me to only see one of whatever i am looking at...  UGH!   I just sit there looking and looking into that machine, hoping for a miracle; hoping that it will just happen spontaneously, but nothing but a bunch of jumping images.  Vision Therapy takes a lot of trust.   You have to trust that things are changing even when you feel like they are not.  It has definitely made me a more patient person.  The brain will change according to its own timeline and there isn't a thing you can do to move it along faster, except maybe getting more sleep!


3 comments:

  1. Heather,

    Your writing is so beautiful that I can't resist following it. Thanks for posting.

    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH JAMES! I appreciate it tremendously. Thank you for following it. Stay tuned for more 3D stories and please stay in touch!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! This reminds me of the scene in Susan Barry's book when she discusses watching the falling snow for an hour. I am in awe. Maybe when I develop 3D vision, I will make a special trip to Lake Tahoe to see the snow falling with the steam from my tea rising in front of my face.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I enjoy reading your feedback.