Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Something Happens When Nothing Happens

"If we had a keen vision and feeling of all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel's heart beat, and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence
George Eliot, Middlemarch

So, I wasn't going to write today. I thought, I really don't have anything to write about, because nothing significant happened in Vision Therapy.  Then I started thinking about how I have come to realize that whether or not I am aware that something is happening, something is really happening!  Even though I can't say some specific change happened today, I think about all the millions of brain cells that I call to attention each time I try to see out of both eyes, and feel pretty silly saying,  Nothing really happened in Vision Therapy today.  

Vision Therapy calls for a lot of work and a lot of faith.  How quickly I forget that I am trying to change visual system that was set in motion over 40 years ago!  I read somewhere where the mother of a highly gifted autistic child said her son's brain changes according to its own timeline and not a moment sooner, that it just happens when it happens. 

I desperately want to see my vision change, but sometimes I don't, and then suddenly something will happen.  This makes me realize things are moving forward, life is always changing and whether or not we can see it change does not stop it from being real, "and we should die of that roar on the other side of silence..." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I enjoy reading your feedback.