Sunday, January 18, 2009

Brock String with Dog Leash

BROCK'S PUG

Today on my walk with Chester, I got the idea to use his leash as a Brock String. The Brock String exercise is one of the first I learned in Vision Therapy.

Brock String Exercise
A string is tied to the wall slightly below nose level with three colored beads on it. You separate the beads to one in the middle, one about 12 inches from your nose, and one close to where the string is tied to the wall and hold the string up to the tip of your nose. Someone using both eyes will see the strings form an "X" when looking at the middle bead and a "V" shape when looking at the far bead. If you close one eye, you actually shut off one of the strings. Try it!! Here is a great link showing how to use a Brock String.
It is a great exercise that gives me instant feedback to where my eyes are pointing and has slowly taught me to 'feel' for when I get the stings in the right place, so I can memorize the feeling and try to get my muscles to remember how things felt when they were in the right place. I try to do it every morning and sometimes in the evening.

With the dog leash today, when I held the leash cord up to the bridge of my nose, sure enough, I saw two cords leading up to Chester in the shape of a V. Nice! The leash did not have a bead in the middle, so couldn't get it to form an X. I had to bend down so the leash was more parallel to the ground, (unlike the photo I took).
`
This is my husband trying it. Again, the string should be more parallel to the ground, but it does work!

My friend James commented that this entry reminded him of Lao-Tzo in the Tao Te Ching, where the 'space between things are as important as the things themselves...' I found this translation of the Tao Te Ching by Waley, which I really like. Thanks James!

Emptiness
We put thirty spokes together and call it a wheel;
But it is on the space where there is nothing that the usefulness of the wheel depends.
We turn clay to make a vessel;
But it is on the space where there is nothing that the usefulness of the vessel depends.
We pierce doors and windows to make a house;
And it is on these spaces where there is nothing that the usefulness of the house depends.
Therefore just as we take advantage of what is, we should recognize the usefulness of what is not.




5 comments:

  1. Ha Ha!
    I was reading the photo 3-d Yahoo mail and the link to your story caught my eyes.
    I was waiting for a computer program to fix my stereophotos of our (Toronto)
    snowy landscape. And low and behold there's the same on your page.
    I would like to share that story to the numerous that say "I can't do it".
    I think it's a good excerize just to show the two paths of view.
    Thanks

    --
    Michael Kupka
    Fine Artist -Stereo 3D- oil painting and photography
    http://carrot.com
    myck3d@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael:
    Thanks for your feedback. Not sure what you meant by the "Same on your page..." Can you explain what you saw on my blog that inspired you? I am glad you found my blog, and very interesting that you are a 3D artist. Tell me more about your work.
    Best,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee Hee Hee! That picture of a Brock Pug is extremely funny. But you are right, you can use almost anything as a Brock String. Even a wooden spoon if you wanted....

    As a doc who provides vision therapy, I try to read the VT blogs out there. I absolutely love your ability to express your new found stereo and progress in VT. It is very fun to read. I posted a link to your "Hallway" post on my blog. I hope it inspires others with similar stories.

    And, incidentally, that is a picture of me in your link to the wiki Brock String page. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi BrightEyes:
    It is nice to hear you have enjoyed reading my blog.

    Thank you so much for your kind words. Feedback like this is very encouraging, as i am never sure if anyone gets this, but as a doctor, of course you understand. Brock Pug is lost on most people!!!

    I have so many stories to tell about all of this, so stay tuned!
    All the best,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found this looking for Brock String info, and had to respond as we too have a pug. They're fabulous dogs, lucky you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I enjoy reading your feedback.