Tuesday, October 6, 2009

More Coffee Babe?

     This past Sunday my husband Sean and I went to the gym and did a double spin class. As we drove home we were starving, so we stopped at a local diner.  
 "I'll have French toast and a side of scrambled eggs," I said to the waitress who came to take our order.  As she lifted the laminated menus she replied, "Oh honey, that's on the specials menu," pointing to the list. 
"Oh," I said, "I didn't see it." 
Just before she turned, steaming pot of coffee in her hand, she said, 
"Oh, that's alright hun, my niece has that same lazy eye."  
Half stunned I said, "Oh, really?" 
"Yea, it runs in my family and she don't see so well either...I noticed right when you sat down that you got that lazy eye too..." 
I just smiled and said, "Yea, I got it."    
     When she walked away, my husband and I looked across the formica table at each other.  We sat there quietly for a few seconds. I decided not to mention it, but then changed my mind.  "Did she really just say that...?" I asked him, to which he nodded yes.  Then we both started to laugh.  
     Most people, like our waitress, still think Strabismus is caused by weak eye muscles, but in most cases the muscles of the eyes work just fine, the problem is in the part of the brain that controls fusion.  "Lazy Eye" and Strabismus are not the same condition
Strabismus is a visual impairment where the two eyes point in different directions. Like mine, one goes up and the other looks down.  The correct layman's term for Strabismus would be "crossed eye",  "wall eye", or "wandering eye".  In my case after three surgeries, I now have hypertropia and hypotropia with a bit of esotropia!  You can see the diagram above for explanations of this.  

1 comment:

  1. This post gave me a good chuckle just because I've lived this experience out many times (even though it's not about me) People say that about my daughter ALL the time and when I try to explain the difference I lose them most of the time and just give in to their "advise" and friendly encouraging words. But .. it does get a bit frustrating :)Anyways, thanks for posting this and your other posts. They really help me to understand how my daughter may be seeing.
    Thanks so much.
    Christine (Mom to Gabriella -who has strabismus as well).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I enjoy reading your feedback.