Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Intermittent Esotropia



















Cross Eyed Mayan Sun God Kinich Ahau.

Woke up at 4:30 this morning and took a spin class at 5:45. This is what my eyes look like when I am tired. My left one crosses in a bit, but I already knew this would be the case when I met with my surgeon Dr. Brian Campolattaro. He told me that I might need two surgeries because of my Intermittent Esotropia, however, I am pretty confident I can correct this in Vision Therapy. I have always been someone who needs a lot of sleep, so I just have to make sure I get it.

My surgeon told me that Vision Therapy is more successful on patients with either Esotropia or Exotropia. I will have to ask my Vision Therapist about this, but it sounds like it makes sense. When I asked Dr. Campolattaro why is it easier for Eso's and Exo's, he said it was because it is a more natural thing to converge and diverge your eyes, but trying to correct a vertical misalignment with therapy is more difficult because it is not a natural thing to try to bring one eye down and one eye up.

For some reason when my eyes are tired I think of Karen Black in one of my favorite movies, Burnt Offerings. She always had an intriguing thing going on with her eyes, so that is the way I am going to look at my temporary crossing, like it is interesting. I am just so happy that my eyes are actually on the same plane and almost the same size, that a little crossing doesn't bother me that much.

I just recently read that in Mayan civilizations they looked at crossed eyes as something beautiful. To achieve this they would dangle a small wax bead in front of their babies eyes to make them cross in.  To think, in that civilization I would have been a baby goddess!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I enjoy reading your feedback.