Thursday, August 11, 2011

All That Surrounds Me

Seeing 3D
I can be on the phone or doing some activity, when my brain suddently decides to see everything in 3D.  I can't ever seem to replicate it, it just clicks on randomly.   From my living room, my kitchen is suddenly on a downhill slope, and the dishwasher becomes stunning.   The countertop is a slice of space layered upon other slices and everything has dimension.  The walls, the floors, it all is wide from where I stand, and then narrows down, down to the point I am looking as if in a tunnel of space.  I always go back to that famous Van Gogh painting of his little bedroom in Arles.  The way the chair legs meet the floor, and the pictures on the wall seem to lean over his bed, that is what my room becomes; odd, but beautiful, everything a bit unfamiliar and out of context.  I get these moments infrequently and they are usually when I am alone in my home.  Maybe that is where my binocular brain feels safe to come out and explore!  I am less afraid now of being whole.  I used to hide behind the corners of my eyes.  What a wonderful place to be when I can see in 3D - I am immersed!

Have you ever been away from your home for a period of time and then came back to see that something was different?  A shelf, a closet, whatever it was.  My mum used to always be changing things in our home, moving pictures and changing the mantle decorations.  When I would go away to school or on vacation or whatever, I remember coming home and seeing the same thing in a completely different way...  That is how it feels when my mind turns on my binocular vision...everything is the same, but completely different at the same time.  Objects are resting in new ways, chairs are standing at strange angles...  I have gone back to childhood books like, Alice in Wonderland and Peter Rabbit with a whole new appreciation.  Peter Rabbit does a lot of things in space!

4 comments:

  1. Congratz! keep working hard! I hope to catch up to you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was good for me to read especially after I just so harshly told my poor surgeon very mater o factly how I felt depth perception was 'over rated' He didn't agree. :)
    We laughed. People who have it don't appreciate it. People who don't have it want it terrible. Than there's those who get to appreciate both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Heather,
    I found your blog via a link from Susan Barry's website.
    I would like to invite you to read mine (I have exotropia): http://see-movement.blogspot.com/
    I did not go to a vision therapist, even though I had been thinking about it --- instead I somehow was able to learn to see with both eyes on my own, less than a month ago, primarily relying on the Eyebody method and the Alexander Technique.

    It is particularly interesting that you can switch back and forth, since I cannot do it any more (I only had two days of switching back and forth, to and from 3D), and I wanted to write more about the difference. I would be interesting if you have similar experiences as you go back and forth. I also think that you should be able to use some of the ideas that I used to learn to control your 3D experience instead of just waiting until it pops up. I only had one period when I entirely lost my 3D experience (and I got a lot of interesting observations out of it), and it took me several hours of concentrated to go back. Of course, I knew how to go back because I knew how I got there in the first place...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Greta, great description and I feel great for you, though I can't really imagine what is it like to be seeing 3D...I can't even be sure if what I am seeing now is in 3D;P...(if I have always had monocular vision, I could not have seen anything in 3D right?)
    anyway...how's your follow-up checkup with the doc (not sure if I could mention any name here)... i hope things are going well for your eyes ;-)
    take care

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I enjoy reading your feedback.